Thursday, February 2, 2012

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

I've been living a traveler's life for 6 months now and have recently been amazed by the differences you find from state to state.  Living in the South has introduced me to new speed limits.  Living in Washington has taught me new terms such as berms, jojos, and fridge stickers.  And, basically living outside of Iowa has shown me (the most important thing!) what the difference really is between Hardee's and Carl's Jr.  <--You Iowans know what I'm talking about...

I lived in New Mexico for a couple weeks last June and on my way there from Iowa I began to notice the speed limits getting higher and higher the closer I got.  At the time I didn't give it much thought besides, "Sweet! Now I'll get there faster!"  After returning to Iowa for a visit though, I began to wonder, "Why are the speed limits so much slower here?!" Perhaps it's because there is less chances of having to follow a tractor down the highway, perhaps it's because there are less deer out and about on the roads (although, there are other animals which is assumingly the reason for a day and night difference), or perhaps it's a result of the differences in weather; Iowa sees more variety and extreme changes in temperature and precipitation causing slick roads and poor driving conditions.  I can't say for sure, but I assume that New Mexico doesn't experience such extremes.  I also experienced these speed limits in Middle West Texas which experiences much the same weather as New Mexico...


Since I've been living in Washington, I have heard the use of some terms which sounded foreign to me.  One day going out to eat with a group of friends I noticed an item on the menu which was an option for a side, jojos.  "You don't know what a jojo is?!" they all exclaimed.  Turns out, jojos are potato wedges.  And, (at least from the experience I had with them) poorly seasoned and soggy potato wedges at that!



Berms are perhaps the most confusing thing that I've learned of all.  A berm is a snow pile to put it simply.  I'll explain it a little more detailed in order for you to better understand why I am so puzzled by them.  Say you have a one way street with three lanes.  Imagine what would happen if it snowed a good amount and the plows only cleared the two outer lanes; this is what they do in Washington and this is how a berm is created.  They are very dangerous and lazy and make absolutely no sense to me!  I found this picture on Google to show you why they are so hazardous.

One other term I heard used the other day was "fridge sticker".  Any guesses what this is?  It's a magnet!  This one wasn't all that puzzling for me, just something I've never heard before and thought was worth a chuckle.

Last and certainly not least (for those of us with significant others that are Carl's Jr. fans and just don't get it) is the difference between Hardee's and Carl's Jr.  I'm going to foreshadow this by saying that I'm sure there are many more differences than I am going to mention but this is the reason that I prefer Hardee's.  Carl's Jr.'s menu is missing THE most important item that Hardee's offers...and this is the Hot Ham 'N Cheese!  Beyond this, Carl's Jr. has waffle fries instead of curly fries (wtf mate?)!  For Drew, who likes the big burgers and such which are offered by both, it makes no difference but I have a solid reason to exclaim that in the  Hardee's vs. Carl's Jr battle Hardee's is the WINNER!!


P.S.// I have always heard that where you live in the country will determine whether you use the term pop or soda.  Well, I haven't notices any determined preference in the areas I've been but I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. Just remembered to check out your blog. Can't wait to follow it! I moved around a lot when I was growing up and the biggest differences I noticed was when at the supermarket we would ask if we want a sack (this was in Indy) and up here in NW Ohio, it's a bag. When I lived it Virginia it was a soda and up here it's a pop, I still say soda. Guess I'm a Southern girl at heart. lol

    ReplyDelete